Monday, April 26, 2010

The Metric System

Since Olive turned one, I have been trying to figure out how to tell people her age. Right now, I can get away with, “She just turned one.” But once May 8th rolls around, we have some decisions to make. Most people will say that she is 13 months old. But I’m getting kinda tired of counting months. When do I stop counting months? I don’t say that I am 368 months old.

I think little kids have the right idea. Ask a six year old her age and she will give you a fraction – “I’m six and a half” or “I’m six and three quarters”. When I was in elementary school we even celebrated half birthdays, for people who – like me – had birthdays that fell in the summertime.

I think I’m going to follow the lead of the fraction system and start referring to Olive’s age using decimals. So on May 8th I will say that Olive is approximately 1.083 years old. It is just easier this way. Less counting. It is like the metric system for ages.

Who’s with me?

1 comment:

  1. I never understood the age-in-months thing until I became a parent. You can't help it. I think you can cut if off at two years...then it's by year - thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete