Friday, January 15, 2010

Like Father, like daughter

We have a sick little baby on our hands. First, infants really do get way too many colds. I remember hearing or reading somewhere that babies average 10-12 colds in their first year of life. Really!? That is one cold a month. I once thought this impossible. No more. Olive has settled into a nice two week on, two week off sickness model.

Keeping with that schedule, Olive woke up today with about two pounds of snot dried to her face (be glad I didn’t post THAT picture) and the overall demeanor of a heavily sedated kitten. All she wanted to do was snuggle, moan quietly, and drift in and out of sleep. This picture was captured about 15 minutes after she finished her morning bottle. Notice the form on her mouth-breathing since her nose is all blocked up. Take a moment to appreciate the far-off gaze that just screams “I feel like a pile of turd but I’m only 9-months old and don’t know how to say the word ‘turd’ or any other words, for that matter, so I’m just going to lay here on my mother, mouth breathe, stare off into the distance and hope my parents take me to the doctor.”




(I also apologize to my lovely wife for posting a picture of her sleepily watching TV at 7:05 AM – but I think it is cute)

Well, soon enough Leanne took Olive into the doctor and we have another first – Olive’s first ear infection! I guess she really is her father’s daughter. You see, I had about 5,829 ear infections while growing up. I don’t remember that many, but my parents certainly do. To really add insult to injury I am allergic, or extremely sensitive, to several antibiotics. So not only did I make my parents deal with a sick and screaming child, but then I put them through a grueling trial-and-error process to find a drug that would make me better and not cause me to vomit.

Luckily, Olive looks to be handling her meds with flying colors and has spent a good chunk of the day sleeping. Hopefully in a few days we will have our healthy little girl back – she has a schedule to keep.

1 comment: